The village of Calverton is a Nottinghamshire parish, of some 3,300 acres (1,300 ha), about seven miles north-east of Nottingham, situated, like nearby Woodborough, and Lambley, on one of the small tributaries of the Dover Beck. The 2011 census found that there was 7,076 inhabitants in 2,987 households. About two miles to the north of the village is the site of the supposed deserted settlement of Salterford.
The parish is bounded on the south-east by Woodborough, to the south-west by Arnold, Papplewick and Ravenshead, to the north by Blidworth, and to the north-east by Oxton and Epperstone.
The place appears as Calvretone in the Domesday survey of 1086 and as Kalvirton in the Rotuli Hundredorum of 1275. Scholars believe that the name means "the farm of the calves", from Old English calf (genitive plural "calfra") It is intriguing that a forest village, with a presumed shortage of grazing land, should be named for the young of domestic cattle; perhaps it was the atypical presence of a calf farm, in the woodland landscape, that ensured its name.
During most of its existence Calverton was a forest village, in that part of Sherwood known as Thorney Wood Chase, with a rural economy limited by a lack of grazing land, in which handicrafts (like woodworking and the knitting of stockings), must in consequence have assumed a lot more than is usual importance. The parliamentary enclosure of 1780 brought some agrarian progress to the village, but it was not until the opening of a colliery by the National Coal Board in 1952, that the village began to assume its present identity, with new housing estates and marked population growth. The colliery closed in 1999 and while a small industrial estate provides some local employment, Calverton has taken on the character of a large commuter village.