1936 : Decision made to sink mine shaft in Calverton
1937 : An announcement is made by B.A. Collieries that it plans to have a coal mine at Calverton. They say the proposed mine should yield 100 million tonnes of coal. They also point out that men will be employed for over "125 years".
April : Road work and erection of temporary buildings
June 14 : Number 1 shaft - First sod cut by Captain C.B. Lancaster and Sir Hugh Seely
1938 : Proposal to build village to house mineworkers (500 houses)
February : Number 1 shaft reaches a depth of 64 yards
May 22 : Number 1 shaft final depth of 562 yards is reached
September : Baths, canteen and Lamp Cabin erected plus 22 houses near the pit
October : Housing estate of 500 houses proposed next to pit (Phase 2)
October/November : Number 1 shaft brought into operation for ventilation and manriding from Bestwood
In 1940 the architecture of the mine was published via a lovely pamphlet ----- view it by pressing here 1942 : Concert staged by ENSA in canteen
December : Work started for sinking number 2 shaft and building a permanent winder and headgear
February : Order placed for new winder with Messrs Fraser and Chalmers, Erith, Kent
April : Application made to LMS and LNER railways to supply railway service
May : Calverton borehole 1.25 miles east of shaft completed
January 1 : Number 2 shaft, turf cutting ceremony hosted by Captain C.B. Lancaster. View Here January 11: Miners arriving for work. View Here
January 12 : Start of second shaft
1947 : All U.K Collieries are nationalised and will now be run by the National Coal Board.
1950 : Underground drivages commenced in High Main Seam
August : Number 2 shaft has now reached a depth of 350 yards
June 12 : Number 2 shaft, Final depth of 1688 ft reached at Top Hard Seam
September 24 : The mine is officially opened by Right Honourable Lord Leathers the Secretary of State for
Fuel and Power
March : Main ventilation and skip winding equipment installed at Number 2 shaft - Also coal winding commenced from High Main (383 yards) at Number 2 shaft
September : First Longwall face opened out in North-Westerly direction
October : Second Longwall face commenced
1954 : Coal Preperation Plant commissioned early in the year
April 7: Visit by HRH Princess Margaret to see 9's Face. Click here for information. Click here to download the visit of HRH Princess Margaret.
June 18 : Russian mining engineers visit. Click here for information.
1957 : The mine currently employs 1332 people (1121 underground and 211 on the surface)
February : Installation on 41's coal face. This was the world's first full-face of self-advancing roof supports - Dowty Roofmasters. This was to revolutionise longwall coal mining.
1960 : Davidson-Sirocco ventilation fan fitted
1961 : December : First million tonnes of coal produced in a year.
February : Manager - Mr W.T. Elliott (above) departs from the colliery
September : Rapid loading Bunker completed
1969 : 600,000 pounds N.C.B. says is to be invested for new reserves.
1970 : Project began to develop Low Bright/Brinsley Seam
September : Brinsley Seam - C1's face commenced
November : Brinsley Seam - C2's face commenced
1975 : New Larger Baum Washboxes installed on the Coal Preperation Plant
March : Brinsley Seam - C4's face commenced
December : Last production face in High Seam finished
1979 : 750 tonne surface bunker commissioned - Number 2 shaft has new headgear, pulley wheels and larger winding engine fitted and also its skip payload scheme is raised from 10.5 tonnes to 12.5
January : Completion of the fitting of new ventilation fan and face drift
1982 : Now employs approximately 1500 men.
1988 : Given three months to improve performance, by British Coal, or face closure
1992 : Calverton Colliery, which now employs 749 men, along with 7 other Nottinghamshire mines, are to close British Coal announces. This coming in the same week that the pit broke the weekly production record of 40,500 tonnes.