The village has a thriving cricket club with a long history. Cricket is believed to have been played as early as 1840 but there is no documentary proof until 1869. Several players have had distinguished careers at county level. In 1879 cricket was played on the ice at Salterford Dam, such was the enthusiasm of the players.
Calverton Colliery, started in 1937 but put 'on ice' during the Second World War, was the first mine to be officially opened under nationalisation in 1952.
Nabarro Court old peoples home, Collyer Road: Officially opened: Wednesday March 17 1976 even though it had been in use since November 1974
Colonel Frank Seely School: June 30 1977: Claude Richardson (Headmaster) and George Rowlinson (Deputy-Headmaster) retired. They had a ten year partnership together. Mr Rowlinson had taught at the school for twenty years.
Sewage Works, Moor Lane: Officially opened: December 15 1953. They were first planned in 1937 - total cost £39,000
The first ever Miner's Welfare, Ladies section was formed in Calverton. The new mine brought publicity and a new population. The new council estate and the Coal Board housing estate resulted in a new shopping centre and other facilities which in turn have attracted private building and industry. Many clubs and societies thrive in this energetic community.
In 1906, the village postie was paid 9 shillings a week!
The Domesday Book states that in 1086 the village had a church and a priest, but no part of the present church is dated before 1120, although it almost certainly occupies the same site as the Saxon building and is dedicated to St. Wilfrid.
Stocking Frames: 1844 = 400 in Calverton
Calverton's most famous son is undoubtedly William Lee, the inventor, in 1589, of the stocking frame. His influence can still be seen in some of the old stockinger's cottages-with windows specially designed to give maximum light to the stocking frame.
An eccentric Calvertonian was John Roe, founder of a religious sect in the late 18th century. Amongst their customs was the method of choosing marriage partners by casting lots. Baptism's were held in the pool (now dried up) in Johnny Roe's garden. He was also responsible for developing a fine plum which goes by his name and which is still grown locally.
There are two ancient charities. A charity for the poor was started by Jane Pepper (who also gave a silver alms dish to the church) which was augmented by a bequest and a gift of land in the 18th Century at the time of the Enclosures Act.
The Jonathan Labray Trust was set up by his will of 1718 and provides almhouses and, until 1973, a school. The school building is now used by the Scouts and Guides.
A church Sunday school was built on Burnor Pool in 1846 and became the first day school. It was converted in 1852 and became the National school. In 1892 a public elementary school was erected.
Leisure centre: Opened in 1977
Methodist Church: Opened in 1962
Lido: Opened July 1935