One should never lose sight of the fact that Labray's Endowed School was intended to benefit boys only. From first to last it remained a boys' school, every bit a male preserve.
Jonathan Labray was a stocking-frame operative in Nottingham in the early eighteenth century when the stocking trade was booming. A thrifty man who never forgot his humble origins, he made provision in his will for his money to be used to benefit the poor. He had a special connection with Calverton, having owned land and property around the village, and the trustee of his will decided to set aside ten pounds per annum from his estate to be devoted to charitable purposes in Calverton. This sum was used to support a schoolmaster who would teach poor boys from the village free of charge. The endowment was made in 1718 and the Labray School continued to educate village children for 255 years until its closure in 1973
Labray Headmasters (Acting Head Teachers in Italics)
? - 1821 = Unknown ("superannuated")
1821 - 1862 = Matthew Shepherd
1862 - Circa 1868 = Samuel Shepherd
Circa 1868 - Circa 1872 = William H. Finney
Circa 1872 - 1874 = William H. Dennis
5 Oct 1874 - 31 Dec 1910 = William F. Newman
1 Jan 1911 - 31 Jul 1937 = Arnold Stevenson
30 Aug 1937 - 31 Jan 1939 = Charles A. Saxton
1 Feb 1939 - 31 Jul 1957 = Hugh D. Rees
3 Sep - 31 Mar 1959 = G.W. Boniface
1 Apr 1959 - 31 Dec 1960 = William Gaskell-Miller
1 Jan 1961 - 31 Jul 1966 = A.E. Fricker
1 Sep 1966 - 31 Dec 1967 = Fred Stone
1 Jan 1968 - 31 May 1972 = John Bingham
1 Jun 1972 - 16 Feb 1973 = Joyce Irving
No school log books exist for the years prior to 1875, so we can only speculate about the schools activities.
From 1875 the logs are shown below.