Two camps, one inside the other, have been recorded as cropmarks 200m NE of Lodge Farm at about 60 m above OD, on the W side of the valley of the Dover Beck, a tributary of the River Trent . They occupy the level crest of a low spur which projects south-eastwards and from which the ground falls away on all sides except the NW. There are good views, particularly to the SE along the valley of the Dover Beck, and to the WSW along a shallower unnamed valley towards the late Iron Age and possible Roman military site at Dorket Head, Arnold (SK 54 NE 4). To the NW, however, the view is blocked by rising ground, itself now capped by the massive waste-heap from Calverton Mine. The camps NW corner is overlain by the modern road and the damp low-lying ground of Oxton Bogs beside the Dover Beck obscures cropmark evidence on the NE side. The detailed topography of the camp's layout is unusual, for the E ends of the NW and SE defences cross the natural valley scarp and the NE ditch would have lain at the bottom of this slope. The camp measures just less than 280 m from NW to SE by at least 285 m transversley, giving a minimum area of about 8 ha (20 acres). It is not rectangular, for the SE side bows outwards, while the NW side bows slightly inward. A faint gap at the centre of the SW side is probably a gate; another possible gap in the NW side is even less clear.
A Roman coin hoard, found in a broken pot, of nearly 200 Roman silver coins, mostly Trajan and Hadrian, (AD 98-138) was supposedly found sometime in the 18th century.
A hoard of late 3rd century Roman coins were found in 1960 during house building in Crookdale Lane, Calverton. Of the estimated 1000 coins only 293 were recovered, and the majority of these are now in Nottingham Castle Museum. The coins ranged in date from Gallienus (AD 260-8) to Probus (AD 276-82).
A late 3rd century Roman coin hoard was found whilst digging foundations, in 1959, for Manor Park Infants School, Collyer Road. The hoard was in an earthenware pot, and consisted of about 1550 coins (antoniniani) (of which about 100 were distributed privately) and ranged from Saloninus (AD 258-60) to Probus (AD 276-82). It was probably deposited c.AD 280-2. Mr C M Daniels (MOW) dug trial trenches near the find spot, but found nothing.
By the time of the Roman invasion Midland Britain was inhabited by a native tribe called the Coritani whose chief towns were Lincoln and Leicester. Little is known about the Coritani,and the type or extent of their settlement in Nottinghamshire remains mostly a mystery.By A.D.47 all of Eastern England up to the Humber had been brought under Roman rule; Lincoln and Leicester continued to serve as regional centres as they had done under the Coritani, a pattern reinforced when the Romans built the Fosse Way linking the two towns.
Nottinghamshire had no major Roman settlements but a chain of small military or roadside stations followed the Fosse Way and Ermine Street. As the Romans advanced northwards these stations were presumably needed to safe guard the new roads and to give a measure of security during colonisation of potentially hostile territory.
Later on Romans were to be a familiar site in the area around Calverton. There was a small Roman camp at Epperstone and definite Roman evidence in the form of coin hoards has been found. The first hoard was found in 1794, dating to about 100 AD. There was a small urn, a quart measure in size, which was full of Roman Denaril. Two similar hoards were found between 1959 and 1960, during building operations. Most of the coins are in the University of Nottingham Museum and some are in the Calverton Folk Museum. Hollinwood Lane may form part of a Roman Road (from Cockpit Hill near Dorket Head to Oxton).